Moving is a stressful time, without the complications of dealing with a dishonest moving company. Unfortunately there are many families who experience moving scams, when they are moving their possessions from one location to the next. Finding a moving company that will take care of your belongings and move them safely is an important aspect of moving. Here are a few tips to finding a top quality moving company.
- License and Insured. When deciding on a moving company make sure they are licensed and insured based on the regulations in your state. It is also a good idea to see if they are a member of a registered organization like the (BBB) Better Business Bureau or the AMSA (American Movers and Storage Association).
- Get recommendations. Ask friends or your Realtor for recommendations. Realtors work with hundreds of new home owners and can be a great resource for recommendations. When you select a few companies ask for additional referrals of happy clients and call the clients to discuss their experience with the company.
- Get the DOT and MC License number from the companies on your list. Go to www.safersys.org. This is a government website that can be used as an unbiased reference for the company’s performances and claims.
Pricing is one of the largest areas of complaints. In order to obtain accurate pricing a home visit is necessary. Companies that quote over the phone or internet are often inaccurate and result in higher fees when your possessions arrive at your new home.
When the company visits be sure to cover every item that needs to be moved. This is the only way to get an accurate estimate. When moving across state lines the actual weight is what will be charged, so good communication is essential.
Understand the valuation process. While no one wants to think about damage, it is important to understand how the company will establish a value of your belongings. This will help in the event a piece is damaged in the move.
Red flags to look for include the following:
- Requesting cash deposits especially before your belongings are loaded.
- A company with no physical address. Be wary of PO Boxes. A company can have a flashy website or even large colorful ads, and not be a legitimate company.
- Low ball estimates. Get several estimates. If one is significantly lower than the others they will often make up for it by demanding more money once your valuables are on the truck.
Moving companies provide a very valuable service for millions of movers each year. Hiring a company that will protect your valuables and be fair and honest when dealing with the consumer is a central part of the process of having a successful and satisfying move.
When selecting a mover, planning ahead is very beneficial. This will provide you with time to evaluate the company and get multiple estimates. Getting to know the company and the company representatives will help ensure a safe and worry free moving experience.
If you are in the market to buy a home or just considering your options, it costs nothing to learn more. Call or email Linda for a free, no-obligation, no pressure consultation – 910.409.3519, Linda@LindaMehner.com.